SC - Chocolate spoon query (very OOP)

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Tue Nov 28 07:17:21 PST 2000

In my searching for Christmas gift ideas, I came across this recipe for:

chocolate coffee spoons:  double-chocolate dippers

2 cups (12 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup Wilton-brand Light Cocoa Candy Melts
35 to 45 heavy-duty plastic spoons
2 teaspoons solid shortening (optional)
2 large cookie sheets or jelly roll pans
waxed paper
heat-proof glass measuring cups

Instructions:
Cover cookie sheets with waxed paper.

Place one cup of chocolate chips or candy melts in heat-proof measuring cup.
A smaller, deeper cup gives best results.

Microwave chocolate chips or candy melts at 50% power for 1 minute.  Remove
cup and stir.  Continue microwaving at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds,
until chocolate is melted and smooth.  DO NOT over-heat chocolate.

To thin chocolate, add 1 teaspoon solid shortening per cup of chocolate
chips.  Stir gently.

Dip plastic spoons in melted chocolate to cover the bowl of the spoon.
Remove excess chocolate by tapping tip gently against the side of the
measuring cup.  If chocolate thickens, return to the microwave for 30
seconds at 50% power, stir gently.

Repeat with second cup of chocolate chips or candy melts.  Cool spoons
completely before proceeding to next step.

Place 1/2 cup Wilton-brand Light Cocoa Melts in a heat-proof glass measuring
cup.

Microwave candy melts at 50% power for 1 minute.  Remove cup and stir.
Continue microwaving at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds, until candy
melts melted and smooth.  Dip each spoon diagonally in melted candy melts.

Return to cookie sheet and allow to cool completely.

Cool thoroughly before wrapping individually.

Makes 35 to 45 chocolate coffee spoons.

My query is what on earth are Wilton-brand Light Cocoa Candy Melts and what
could I use as a substitute in Australia?

Gwynydd