SC - Kitchen Authorization

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Wed Nov 29 09:55:11 PST 2000

>So, while I would hesitate at the authorization for each individual prep
>method, I am not sure that requiring an afternoon class in safe food prep

>would be a bad idea for those who are going to be preparing food for our mass

>consumption.

I like that idea, but I agree that it's unwieldy and scary to REQUIRE it, such
as through authorization.

As a compromise, how 'bout offering a class on a private basis and providing
a certificate of completion?  That certificate wouldn't be required for anything,
but it would get out the message that - hey, there's more to helping in the
kitchen than being able to pour your cereal in the morning.  Cooks could encourage
their helpers to take it, and autocrats could choose to require that their cooks
have taken it if they know it's offered in their area.  But, this would ALL
be voluntary.  The certificate would be a nicety.

Heck, I'm willing to teach such a class, whether or not people like the certificate
idea.

New thread:  What would you want such a class to offer?  Let's develop a standard
outline.  Some basic starting points:

I. Definitions
II. Hygiene
III. Safety
IV. Ingredient handling (listing ingredients, allergies, etc.)

- -Magdalena vander Brugghe