SC - Kitchen Authorization

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:26:46 PST 2000

>I don't know about you, but I think regulating kitchen help will pretty
>much
>drive away our volunteers.

Maybe, maybe not.  I have heard people say they don't help in the kitchen
because they don't know how.  Relying on the enough members of the populace
to show up at the kitchen door, with skills, interest and proper clothing
doesn't always work, and there is not always time/personel/space to give
crash courses.

>Give someone the power to regulate something that is working but requires
>common sense, and the end result is that it won't work, and we lose a
>chance
>to teach someone what common sense really is!
>
>Don't authorize them. Teach them!!
>
>Andrea M.

The authorization process is meant to organize the teaching process.
Common-sense is only common to those with experience.  An astonishing number
of people have think that heating food is cooking.

I'm not generally in favor of the idea of required training sessions and
multi-authorizations.  But, I can think of a few such which already exist.

- - As part of the Pages schools. These seem keen to award tokens according to
some  scheme of advancement.  I think one could easily come up with set of
tasks that would take a couple of events worth of 'classes' culminating in a
token denoting said Page as able to responsibly take on kitchen duties.
Those taking the course to keep busy at an event would stretch it out one
topic at a time, those with experience could fly through it in a day.

- -Within a cook's guild.  Again, those with previous experience can pass it
all at once and move on, those with less experience would take as much
longer as needed.  If the guild otherwise doesn't actively train members and
actively cook as a group, then adding this process probably won't add to the
fun and usefulness of the guild, so it's not an idea for every guild.

- -Within a household that regularly feeds it's members, such training might
be good.  As above, what enhancments such a plan would offer over chance
training would depend on the group.

- -Offering a class at University or at local meetings in kitchen safety,
equipment handling and sanitation has been done in the past.  I only
recently learned that it is possible to get some sort of attaboy after
taking enough classes in related topics at Atlantian University, so there is
already a mechanism there for a regular cycle of kitchen and food related
classes ending with some sort of recognition.   The offering of the classes
regularly by the University is a good thing generally.  That anyone might
get some sort of 'credit' for it if all are taken is incidental.   Better to
work within this system, with the token meaning only that you've taken a set
of classes, rather than try to create something mimicing fighter
authorizations in style and importance.

Bonne