SC - Kitchen Authorization

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:59:32 PST 2000

>I don't remember anything about the degrees that are granted
>(the attaboy for sitting in classes) saying anything about a particular
>track.

That a degree exists at all is new to me, so I appreciate your
clarifications.

>Also, as
>there are no exams or anything, there would be no way of ascertaining the
>quality of the
>training received.
>However, I still don't think we should be certifying people
>to work in kitchens.

Right, that's my point.  I don't think we should be certifying until and
unless outside forces demand we must use their certification.

University and other A&S classes are a step above chance as chance can
training done while cooking feasts.  That should never be discouraged but
it's not optimal.  Regular offerings at University, w/ a 'degree' to
demonstrate you've taken all 4 or 6 or 10 sounded like a fine thing:
existing system, internal, informal, no new paperwork and no going overboard
with schemes and tokens.  However, since the system recognizes X hours of
all sorts of classes rather than x hours of classes in one area, that won't
fly.  But, I'd like to see more internal, informal training done as part of
the overall fun.

Ah well.

Bonne--who is looking into getting a license as a matter of fact.  But
that's more  because this cross-country move is a life change opportunity
than because it would be of any SCA use.