Bubble and Squeak (OOP) Was Re: SC - Boxing Day Recipes?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 30 12:08:12 PST 2000

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> OK.  I got this one first and fell out for the second round of laughter:
>
> >Alright, I will bite.  I have heard of Toad in the Hole, but what is a
> >Spotted Dick?
> >Kirsten
> >
> Then I scrolled down to this one for the THIRD round of hysterical
> laughter!!  My co-workers keep roaming by my office door DYING to find out
> why I have been cracking up all morning!
> >
> Now.  What is Spotted Dick??
>
> Olwen, who can barely wait to laugh some more...

It is what they call an "English nursery pudding," also known as Spotted Dog for the
really decorous and delicate.  The spots are raisins in this boiled pudding.   Not much
in fashion anymore in these health-conscious times although middle-aged Britons seem to
have a nostalgic feeling about them.  I'm pulling up an article from the NY Times, it's a
freebie but the NYT wants you to register with them [which I already am].

http://www.nytimes.com/library/dining/032200pudding-britain.html

The Worldly Adult Pleasures of Nursery Puddings By R. W. APPLE Jr

Selene