SC - non-member submission - Making unfamiliar food familiar

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Nov 30 12:44:32 PST 2000

I found this over on rec.food.historic and it reminded me that we sca
cooks are not the only ones with the occasional audience that won't eat
something because it looks wierd:

From: Gary Allen <sanscravat at my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Holiday grocery trends
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:08:49 GMT

In article <w1xV5.26429$IP1.822113 at news1.giganews.com>,
  Xiphias Gladius <ian at io.com> wrote:

> Never struck me as odd until just now that Jello would be a
traditional
> Thanksgiving dish.

Ian,

A friend used to be one of the line cooks at The Trellis in
Williamsburg, VA. Every year, the staff held their own Thanksgiving
dinner--and one year he brought his cranberry relish.

Most of the staff complained bitterly about not having canned cranberry
jelly.

The following year, he made the same relish--but added raspberry Jello,
then molded it in a used, butwell-scrubbed tin can. The result slid out
of the can most satisfyingly--AND exhibited the requisite crowd-pleasing

ridges.

And it did please the crowd.

- --
To reply via e-mail, just take out the garbage.
Gary Allen, The Culinary Institute of America
gallen at garbagehvi.net
http://www.foodbooks.com/