SC - Excellent Small Cakes, Digby

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 30 14:52:26 PST 2000

Below is the recipe pretty much as it is in Digby. I'm feeding about
80 people, and there will be two other desserts, a Boar Head sotiltie
of pretty much period gingerbread covered with marzipan, and "Pies of
Raw Pears"  from 15th c. edition of "Le Viandier of Guillaume Tirel
dit Taillevent", as published in "The Medieval Kitchen by Redon, et
al.

1) Will this make enough for 80 people - assuming more-or-less one
for everyone, but that not everyone will want one...

2) is this complete enough to cook from? I've added an estimated time
and temperature for baking, but i've never made these...

3) I'm thinking of rolling it out into jelly roll pans, scoring the
dough into rectangles, baking, then separating and icing, rather than
making many small cakes. Is this likely to work?

4) any other helpful hints, retoolings, etc. from those who have made them?

Digby's Excellent Small Cakes

Cakes:
3 lb flour	1-1/2 lb sugar	3 lb currants
1-1/2 lb butter, softened	10 spoonfuls cream	3 egg yolks, beaten
1 nutmeg	3 spoonfuls Sack
Mix together dry ingredients & currants. Mix together wet ingredients
& nutmeg. Mix both together. "Make into little cakes and prick them
full of holes". [I add: Bake 15 min. at 350° F.]

Icing
1-1/2 lb. Powdered Sugar	5 Egg Whites, beaten	2 or 3 spoons Rosewater
Beat all together. Ice cakes when fresh out of the oven.

Thanks for any help. The Feast is on Sunday December 10,

Anahita al-shazhiyya