SC - 14th Century

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 1 06:05:07 PST 2000

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> What do we have, if anything, on 14th Century cookbooks, early, preferably
> Norman?

How about mid-thirteenth century Anglo-Norman?

See Constance Hieatt and Robin F. Jones, "Two Anglo-Norman Culinary
Collections Edited from British Library Manuscripts Additional 32085 and
Royal 12.C.xii", Speculum v. 61 October 1986 pp 859-882...

Note that one of these two (in French), I forget which one, is available
in a partial English translation as Book I of Curye On Inglysch, Diversa
Cibaria (BL Add. 46919 He.), and _that_ is dated at around 1325 C.E.

Is that sufficiently early 14th century Norman fer ya? And are you gonna
make cuskynoles?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy