SC - Question on tea

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Nov 2 10:54:38 PST 2000

At 10:28 AM -0800 11/2/00, Elanore Amrstrong wrote:
>   I am curious if anyone knows where I can find
>information on herbs that may have been used for tea
>(medicinal or otherwise)in the northern part of
>England or Scotland during the 16th century.

I don't think "tea" is the term you want. As I understand it, the
word originally means the stuff made from tea leaves, and the more
general sense is a later development. Tea in the strict sense doesn't
come into England until the 17th century, so any earlier references
to what we would call "herbal teas" aren't likely to be called "teas."

That said, I'm afraid I don't have any information on herbal
infusions in Britain. The closest I can come is a chapter in the
Adalusian cookbook (webbed on my site) on drinks like
sekanjabin--sugar or honey syrups, flavored with various things
including herbs, intended to be diluted in hot or cold water, with
medicinal comments included.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/