SC - Maghribi and Andalusian travels

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 2 17:53:12 PST 2000

David/Cariadoc wrote:
>Bring back a tajine. It is a cooking utensil that shows up in the
>Andalusian cookbook and, I am told, is still in use (of course,
>that's assuming the word still has the same meaning, which seems
>plausible but not certain). I gather it is sort of like a frying pan
>with a conical lid, but I don't think I have ever seen one.

Funny you should mention them, as before i was sure i was going, i
asked my daughter, who is there on a semester abroad, to bring one
back for me :-)

>If you can't bring one back, bring back pictures.

There are pictures of them in some of my modern ethnic Moroccan cookbooks.

I'm going to take one gym bag of clothing, shoes, etc for a month of
travel. Then i hope to be able to get some good stuff to send home -
like maybe a rug, and some ceramics (eek - will i just have shards?),
traditional fibula, and shoes... I found a picture in a catalog of a
Metropolitan Museum exhibit and the shoes from Mamluk period Egypt
were just like some of the shoes they still make.

And maybe i'll get a sack of Ras al Hanout... Anything else anyone
thinks i should be looking for, on the topic of food? I can't read
Arabic well yet, so cookbooks will be iffy - although i am fluent in
French, so maybe i can find some Maghribi stuff in French.

And my daughter and i will also go to Andalusia in Spain, so i can
look for books, cookbooks, or other stuff, if anyone has any
suggestions.

Anahita al-shazhiyya