SC - Daily living in the 12th Cen (Holms)

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Nov 5 15:58:32 PST 2000

In a message dated 11/3/2000 2:08:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< Anyone know if this book is any good? I've got a 12th century Anglo-
 Norman persona and some more info on daily life in that time period
 could be useful.  >>

I'm sure somebody has already answered this, but:
The book is a partial translation and commentary on a 12th century piece, by
a fellow named Alexander Neckam.  He seems to have been quite the busybody
and know-it-all, and is forever saying what should be in this or that room or
how things should be done to be in the best fashion.  The translated bits are
fascinating, and I'd love to see an translation of the whole thing.  The
commentary, as I recall, seems to be relatively on target.  There's quite a
detailed list of what should be in a properly equipped kitchen, and although
there aren't any actual recipes, he does occasionally talk about things like
how to cook a chicken or some such.  I don't think he was a cook, though;
there seem to be some interesting omissions...

Brangwayna Morgan