SC - Bourreys

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Thu Nov 9 09:55:25 PST 2000

While I was perusing recipes on the net in A Boke of Kokery, I came across
the following recipe:
Bourreys.
Take pipes, hertes, meres, myltes, and of the rybbes of the Swyne, or elles
take (if thou wilt) Mallard or Goos, and choppe hem small, And then parboile
it in faire water, And take it vp, and pike it clene, And putte into a
potte, and cast thereto Ale ynogth, Suage, Salt, And lete boile right ynowe,
&then serue it forth

Here's my translation/redaction so far:

Bourreys.

Take the lungs, heart, ?,?, and of the ribs of the Swine, or else take (if
you will) Mallard or Goose,and chop it small, and then parboil it in fair
water, and take it up, and pike it clean, And put into a pot and cast
thereto Ale enough, Sage, Salt, And let boil right enough, and then serve it
forth.

Dice pork lungs, heart, two unknown parts, and rib meat or duck and/or goose
meat. Parboil it, and in the case of the pork take the scum off as it
boils.(I can't see much need to do this for the poultry-but I could be
wrong) Drain and add ale, sage and salt, cook until done.

okay, what the heck is meres and mytles?

Any other comments?

Beatrix of Tanet

- ---