SC - Three funny bits, with some Obligatory Food Content

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Fri Nov 17 14:11:21 PST 2000

Why does getting into trouble leave us in hot water?

For many of us the place where food is prepared is a source
of nurturing and pleasure.  But linguistically, the kitchen
is a heated battleground full of stress and strife.   For
example, if your goose is cooked and you are out of the
frying pan and into the fire, you may end up boiling mad.

However anyone who tells you that the phrase "in hot
water" originates in the kitchen is half-baked.  It's about a
test, not a taste; it involves an ordeal, not a meal.

The phrase has to do with determining if someone is
telling the truth.  In the Middle Ages they often did it by
sticking people's hands in hot water.  Liars developed
blisters.  How's that for a lie detector?  You can bet that
the prospect of undergoing this ordeal by hot water made
people feel that they were in trouble -- big time!

(Source: FORGOTTEN ENGLISH by Jeffrey Kacirk)

 Personally, I think our Spanish Lobsters, not to mention most other
shellfish, might apply the concept to the kitchen.....

####################################

It seems our Trimarins are changing the names of their Dukes.... to
Re-Count..... Does this mean that the rest of us will start calling our
multiple Dukes, Your Grace, Redux Whoosit?

####################################

Note  from http://www.salonmagazine.com

"Greek Monks anti-tech CD goes Platinum."

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous