SC - Cool term!

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Fri Nov 17 14:37:16 PST 2000

Angus skrev:

>I'm almost afraid to ask....but as a person with another language other
>than english as my native one, what's the origin of this word ?  Couldn't
>find it any dictionary/idiomatic (idiomacy?) book in my bookshelf.

Actually, Angus, many expletives we use in English are an attempt to avoid
outright cussing, and finding a good, mouthfilling term which still doesn't
get into the realm of the Seven Deadly Words, can be a great help when you
need to blow off steam emphaticly.

For example. yesterday, I had need to tell someone to shut up- trust me, it
was richly deserved- and having been reminded of this term on this List,
told the idiot to "Kindly take your codswallop, fold it five ways, and shove
it where the moon don't shine." It was in response to a nasty racial
tirade....

I have been known to say such things as, "I don't give a flying
flurpityflurp if he thinks he's Queen of the motherloving May. Get him out
of my face!!!!!" Flurpityflurp actually comes from an old TV show,
"Bewitched" but has not only mouthfilling satisfaction, but parallels other
things I might like to say. Motherloving is, or should be, obvious.

I have a mouth on me- I know it. In recent years I've been trying to control
it and redirect its expression, and I'm being fairly successful. And if you
misbegotten flapjawwed yammerheads don't like it, too flaming bad!!! Don't
fire me up!!!!

;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous