SC - Cool term!

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Nov 20 08:28:46 PST 2000

> > not in there. So
> > perhaps arguing over spelling is futile. You could
> > spell it
> > throatwarblermangrove if you like, and it could be
> > from the Swahili. The
> > OED don't say.

Actually, Apparently the Second Editon of the OED _does_ say:
Also cod's wallop. [Origin unknown.]

  Nonsense, drivel.

  1963 Radio Times 17 Oct. 52/2 Just branding a programme as ‘rubbish’,
‘tripe’, orthere are a lot of these‘codswallop’, gives little
indication of what moved the viewer to write. 1966 J. PORTER Sour Cream
vi. 72 It had all seemed a load of old cod's wallop to me at
the time, but those lecturers were experts. 1966 A. PRIOR Operators vi. 64
All that stuff about mutual respect between police and criminal
was a load of old codswallop. 1970 Peace News 30 Jan. 6/1, I hope you will
stop publishing cod's wallop of the type which appeared..in
Roger Moody's article.

Notice that the first citation is in the 1960s.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker