SC - Pheasant

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Fri Nov 24 12:51:25 PST 2000

I wanted to thank everyone for the reponses that I recieved to my questions
about cooking pheasant.

I ended up cooking if for Thanksgiving dinner, and it came out pretty well.

I basted it with a peach sauce, then covered most of the body with bacon to
help keep it moist, then rebasted it and sprinkled almonds and walnuts on it.
I cooked it about an hour covered at 325 then decided to add some quail that
I had. I basted them with the peach sauce and nuts too and cooked for about a
half hour more at 350 uncovered but found that it was browning much more
quickly than I expected, so I covered it again, and let it cook another half
hour.

It turned out very juicy, though it was tougher than turkey. I think that
that is just due to the bird itself. I think next time I will remove the
bacon for the last 20 minutes or so, so that the breast will brown.

The quail, however didnt go very well with the sauce. I don't think it was
the right flavor. All in all though, I am well pleased with my effort, and
will definately try it again.

Thanks again!

Ilia