SC - non-member submission - Platina

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sat Nov 25 09:43:44 PST 2000

Liam Fisher:
> (for lack of the sender's mail address to CC them)
> I noticed this while I was reading Ms Milham's version.

So, could YOU please point us to the pages where "Cardinal della Rovere
is called Rovella twice..."? I would like to take a look at these
passages myself. And could YOU give some further examples for the
original sender's "etc."

<< The other problem is the english portion is a compilation while the
latin isn't ...>>

Up to now, I fail to see any reasonable sense in which such a statement
could be true. Until further explanation, I guess, you are wrong. The
latin version of Platina is the compilation. He took the text of Martino
and sometimes enriched it with medical advice/ passages from other
sources. The English translation is not a compilation; it is meant to be
a literal translation of the latin text: "I have tried to translate as
literally as is consistent with good and understandable English" (Milham
p. 60). The footnotes to the translation are the place, where Milham
documents some findings on the textual history of the original, of
Platina's Latin text. An entry like "Medical advice added" in the
footnote to the English translation means that _Platina_ added a
sentence or two with medical advice in his Latin text that is not found
in Martino's Italian version.

<<... the english portion is a compilation while the latin isn't and it
can lead to some inconsistencies if you read between the two >>

Could you please give some examples of such inconsistencies.

- --Th