SC - Re: New Articles at MKCC!

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 27 18:20:17 PST 2000

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<Um, do you _really_ need to know how to make a pie crust in order to be head cook for a feast? Am I the only one on the planet who doesn't consider that to be any more of a 'basic' skill than making bread, etc. >>>>

In my simple estimation:
Basic skill . . . . yes
Requisite skill . . . . no
requisite knowledge . . . maybe

I know exactly what is entailed and the principles involved in making a pate frisee.  I cannot make a good one to save my arm from being chopped off, but I know how and can teach others.  I believe in the cuisine I espouse that I need to be able to make a pastry crust of some sort (mine is actually more likely representative of a coffyn than a flaky french pastry anyway. . . hot hands).

I believe the same of breadmaking.  The fundamentals of breadmaking is a basic skill and foundation of many other tasks.  Think of these as 'mother skills' that lead ot other things.

niccolo difrancesco