SC - Deep-fried Turkey? OOP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 27 23:22:28 PST 2000

Kiri commented:
> 1)  Another mixture to try injecting is a mixture of maple syrup, bourbon and
> butter.  We've used this to smoke turkeys and the result is absolutely heavenly.
> So I suspect it would be equally wonderful with a fried turkey.

An interesting idea. I'll have to try this sometime. I noticed today they
were selling just the marinade injector in the store. I already bought one
that came attached to a bottle of marinade a while back, though.

> 2)  Instead of trying to use stuffing, why not do it southern style...my mother
> never made stuffing.  Instead, she used broth from boiling the giblets, drippings
> from the bird (which of course you wouldn't have here), and/or ready-made chicken
> broth to make cornbread dressing (cornbread, stale white bread, celery, onions,
> eggs and broth), which was then baked in a pan in the oven with a pan of water on
> the shelf below.  It's really wonderful...

Oh yes. The giblets and drippings. I know I needed something more. My
mother-in-law was about the throw out the two turkey carcasses from our
Thanksgiving dinner. My wife's brother-in-law snagged one and I grabbed
the other. Sunday afternoon, I proceeded to try to make soup from them.
After boiling them for a while, I started trying to pick out the bits
of cartilage and bones. This was pretty tedious and was taking quite
a while. Then I remembered that previously folks on the list had said
that by the time the flesh is boiled to get the broth it was pretty
tasteless anyway. So I strained out all the meat and bones, added
some previously saved turkey meat, some chopped onions and celery and
some chopped garlic. Then some wild rice mix. But I found that after
cooking this for another 25 minutes that the broth was rather thin and
added a chicken and two beef boullion cubes since that is what I had..
I couldn't find any of my better, condensed broth goo stuff. Although
it came out ok, it really sounds like I needed some of the drippings
and the giblets.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net