SC - Acidic tomato sauce

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 12:14:08 PST 2000

- --- Diana L Skaggs <upsxdls_osu at ionet.net> wrote:
> Remember the thread about acidic tomato sauces?
> Someone said they didn't
> want to add sugar.  I read an article the other day
> that said adding a
> grated carrot to the sauce would cut the acidic
> taste without adding
> flavor.  After reading, I realized a couple of my
> "from scratch" tomato
> sauces called for grated carrot. Now, back to the
> kitchen laboratory for
> more research.  Leanna

While making my own "from scratch" pizza sauce one
day, a very accomplished Italian Cook and friend came
up to me just before I tossed in a handfull of white
sugar, and he handed me a carrot.  He said no "real"
Italian cook would ever put refined sugar in a tomato
sauce, and suggested instead that I cook the carrot
and puree it, then add it to the sauce...

Balthazar of Blackmoor