SC - An example of what Most people think was eaten in Period

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 17:21:41 PST 2000

- --part1_97.db2e53f.2755b425_boundary

In a message dated 11/28/00 9:28:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

> And was it used in European cuisine?  I've never seen any reference to it,
> but then I'm no expert and certainly have not studied every single book
> that's out there.

There is a realistic illumination dating from a 14th century manuscript that
clearly shows the yard long bean illustrated. Unfortunately the accompanying
text has nothing to do with herbs at all. A photograph of a stem, leaf, bean
segment of a yard long bean plant from my garden laid beside the illumination
exactly matches it in EVERY detail. Similar photos of other bean species
don't come close. I am preparing an article on this as well as other plants
that I think can be identified clearly in manuscript illuminations and it
should be out in some form or the other by next fall. The main hindrance is
growing and photographing the plants. Some years some things succeed in the
garden and other years they don't. :-)

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_97.db2e53f.2755b425_boundary