SC - OOP Re: what we had for T-day

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Tue Nov 28 19:06:56 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 28 Nov 00, , that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> > Polenta with goat cheese, red peppers, roasted garlic, and sage

> Ooh. This sounds good. Might even get me to try polenta. Can you get
> the recipe and post it?

I don't think there *is* a recipe.  I watched my cousin make it, and
AFAIK, he was just adding ingredients in the proportions that
pleased him.  Get a package of polenta, and cook according to
package directions.  While it cooks, stir continuously, and throw in
other ingredients.  Serve, and eat.  (He considered frying polenta
cakes, but decided against it, as he was already cooking a lot of
other things.)

Oh, and I think I forgot to mention the dish of sauteed mushrooms.

> > Roasted root veggies -- beets, turnips, carrots, potatoes, with
> > onions caramelized in duck fat
>
> The onions caramelized in duck fat sounds wonderful. How far should
> they be caramelized? If you cook them too long you risk burning them,
> right?

I'm not sure.  They may have just been roasted with duck fat in a
pan with the other veggies.  Onions tend to caramelize, if given the
slightest encouragement.

> I bought a frozen duck at the store when I saw them just before
> Thanksgiving. I want to try the Welsh salt duck given in the Welsh
> cookbook described here previously. And I plan to save the fat. This
> time I *will* remember to put it in the freezer before it goes bad.

My cousin just gathered some from the restaurant where he works.
 There were about 12 ducks roasting, he said, so he helped himself
to a good-sized container of drippings.

> The store also had frozen geese. But at $2.99 per pound, I wasn't sure
> I wanted one that bad, although I've never had one before. There was
> still at least one there tonight. Maybe after all the leftovers are
> gone... I wonder if I can get the store to order me one later?

I've never had goose, though occasionally I eye the ones in the
poultry case.  Maybe someday...

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann