SC - I am not sure where else to try so...

Ratboy kattratt at home.com
Wed Nov 29 12:21:01 PST 2000

I thought I would ask you all, and see what turned up.  I have even
tried searching Stefan's Floregilium and couldn't seem to  find any
info.

So on with my question...

When were Flamingo's introduced to Europe?

I have seen evidence that they were found in Rome...

"Planet Flamingo. In ancient Rome, Flamingo tongues were considered a
great delicacy. Their existence was
          threatened by hunters. The Romans made a law making it illegal
to hunt flamingos but, it failed. "

But I am not sure how reliable that is due to the fact that I couldn't
get the site to work.

Stefan is there something at  your site and I just wasn't searching
right?

Most  of the animal sites say that flamingos can be found in parts of
Europe, India, Africa...
but I was told that they aren't period as they were originally located
in South America.  Now I know that the explorers discovered the Americas
in period but do we not acknowedge that?
I seem to remember a chocolate argument awhile back that made me wonder
about the treatment of discoveries.

I am trying to avoid stepping on toes by finding out if I can use the
bird as part of my characters clothing and perhaps
crest/arms/whatever...

Well anyways you all have been so helpful in the past I thought I would
toss out the question and see what happens.

Obligatory food part... Would a Flamingo steak be white or red meat? And
would it be high in beta Carotine?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Nicholas of Falcon Cree.