SC - Period fried food

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Nov 29 18:36:01 PST 2000

- --part1_62.97af2db.27571711_boundary

In a message dated 11/29/00 1:18:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> I think it had to wait
> until the invention of cheap vegetable oils in the 19th century.

While deep frying may or may not have had to wait until you specify, there
are recipes that do call for frying things throughout the period corpus.
Some, such as the chicken recipe I posted some time ago are middle not late
period. Lard was a commercial product available throughout the middle ages
and early modern period. I think your hypothesis regarding vegetable oil and
deep frying is essentially in error especially since most if not all foods
that are deep fried taste much better when deep fried in lard than when done
in veggie oil. My suggestion would be to completely (without exception)
disregard 'modern' thought in this matter and simply follow the recipes as
written from period. it would go a long way towards over riding suppositions
and thoughts based on modern thought and bring the cookery
methods a lot closer to period. Lard was a MAJOR commercial product during
SCA period. Vegetable oil popularity and mass acceptance was based entirely
on the necessities of W.W.I and W.W.II. Any conjectures about it's use
outside that venue is most certainly, IMO, in error. Even if you except the
erroneous supposition that pig's were skinnier in period (another theory that
I hold as false) there is no indication that the introduction of frying, deep
frying or any other type of frying was in any way related to the rise of the
use of the insipid product called 'vegetable oil.' In fact, extant period
recipes clearly indicate the opposite was likely.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_62.97af2db.27571711_boundary