SC - Soap and cleanliness

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Wed Nov 29 19:20:21 PST 2000

Hand washing's all very well and good, but tests have been run on soaps (and
indeed tap handles), and it seems to be (on the whole) 'cleaner'  to not use
the soap (especially those in public areas), as these soaps contain more
bacteria than was on the washer's hands already (and sometimes more than in
a toilet bowl). If I remember, a GOOD rinse with cold water, then a long
towel off with a clean towel is more anti-germ.

When I cook, I clean my hands with a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid,
figuring if it's good enough to eat off dishes cleaned by this, it's good
enough for hand preparation.

On this note I'll insert this amusing story: I recently noticed a heck of a
lot of 'splash' around the loo. One day when walking past I noticed my 7yo
in there weeing standing up with NO HANDS!!!! Apparently in his mind this
meant it saved him from having to wash his hands afterwards, as he hadn't
touched anything. Needless to say, he doesn't do that any more, as I
threatened to clean it up next time using his hair as a mop (he's the type
that responds better to creative and amusing threats).

Glenda.