SC - Seeking Cabbage Recipe

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 30 15:41:17 PST 2000

Dear Cooks:

I planned to include Caboges in Potage from Forme of Cury in the Boar
Hunt Feast, but it just isn't exciting me. I have a "recipe" with no
source from a previous Boar Hunt [red cabbage, garlic, vinegar,
honey, ginger, pepper]. But i'm trying very hard to make authentic
recipes, although they are coming from several centuries.

Any source for a tasty cabbage recipe? I want something savory to
zing with the sausage.

Here's the First Course in which the cabbage will appear

Sweet Italian Pork Sausages
- -- insert cabbage here --
Funges (in broth with poudre forte) (Forme of Cury, 14th c.)
Chyckens in Gravey (with almonds, ginger, and sugar) (Forme of Cury, 14th c.)
Lemon Sauce (Libro de Sent Sovi, Catalan, 15th c.)
Rice (in almond milk) (Forme of Cury, 14th c.)
Crustade Lumbarde (egg custard with dates and prunes) (Harleian MS,
in "Two 15th Century Cookery Books")

I have a fair number of cookbooks, but am not turning anything up -
perhaps in my urgency. Point me to a resource, please.

thanks,

Anahita al-shazhiyya
getting pre-feast jitters.