SC - Seeking Cabbage Recipe

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Nov 30 18:35:46 PST 2000

- --============_-1236484194==_ma============

At 3:41 PM -0800 11/30/00, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>Dear Cooks:
>
>I planned to include Caboges in Potage from Forme of Cury in the
>Boar Hunt Feast, but it just isn't exciting me. I have a "recipe"
>with no source from a previous Boar Hunt [red cabbage, garlic,
>vinegar, honey, ginger, pepper]. But i'm trying very hard to make
>authentic recipes, although they are coming from several centuries.
>
>Any source for a tasty cabbage recipe? I want something savory to
>zing with the sausage.

I'm very fond of this one; and it's easy:

Caboges
  Two Fifteenth Century p. 6/33
Take fayre caboges, an cutte hem, an pike hem clene and clene washe
hem, an parboyle hem in fayre water, an thanne presse hem on a fayre
bord; an than choppe hem, and caste hem in a fayre pot with goode
fresshe broth, an wyth mery-bonys, and let it boyle: thanne grate
fayre brede and caste ther-to, an caste ther-to Safron an salt; or
ellys take gode grwel y-mad of freys flesshe, y-draw thorw a
straynour, and caste ther-to. An whan thou seruyst yt inne, knocke
owt the marw of the bonys, an ley the marwe ij gobettys or iij in a
dysshe, as the semyth best, and serue forth.

1 medium head cabbage	4 lb marrow bones	1 T salt
4 c beef broth	6 threads saffron	~ 2 c breadcrumbs

Wash cabbage. Cut it in fourths. Parboil it (i.e. dump into boiling
water, leave there a few minutes). Drain. Chop. Squeeze out water.
Put it in a pot with beef broth and marrow bones. Simmer until soft,
stirring often enough to keep it from sticking (about 20 minutes).
Add saffron, salt, enough bread crumbs to make it very thick. Simmer
ten minutes more. Serve.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/
- --============_-1236484194==_ma============

 --></style><title>Re: SC - Seeking Cabbage
I planned to include Caboges in Potage from Forme of Cury in the Boar
Hunt Feast, but it just isn't exciting me. I have a
"recipe" with no source from a previous Boar Hunt [red
cabbage, garlic, vinegar, honey, ginger, pepper]. But i'm trying very
hard to make authentic recipes, although they are coming from several
centuries.<br>
want something savory to zing with the sausage.</blockquote>
Take fayre caboges, an cutte hem, an pike hem clene and clene washe
hem, an parboyle hem in fayre water, an thanne presse hem on a fayre
bord; an than choppe hem, and caste hem in a fayre pot with goode
fresshe broth, an wyth mery-bonys, and let it boyle: thanne grate
fayre brede and caste ther-to, an caste ther-to Safron an salt; or
ellys take gode grwel y-mad of freys flesshe, y-draw thorw a
straynour, and caste ther-to. An whan thou seruyst yt inne, knocke
owt the marw of the bonys, an ley the marwe ij gobettys or iij in a
dysshe, as the semyth best, and serue forth.<br>
1 medium head cabbage<x-tab>     </x-tab>4 lb
marrow bones<x-tab>       </x-tab>1 T
salt<br>
4 c beef broth<x-tab>  </x-tab>6 threads
saffron<x-tab>       </x-tab>~ 2 c
breadcrumbs<br>
<x-tab>       </x-tab><br>
Wash cabbage. Cut it in fourths. Parboil it (i.e. dump into boiling
water, leave there a few minutes). Drain. Chop. Squeeze out water.
Put it in a pot with beef broth and marrow bones. Simmer until soft,
stirring often enough to keep it from sticking (about 20 minutes).
Add saffron, salt, enough bread crumbs to make it very thick. Simmer
ten minutes more. Serve.</font></div>

David Friedman<br>
Professor of Law<br>
Santa Clara University<br>