SC - Scottish oatcakes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 1 10:50:37 PST 2000

Elysant writes:

> I am sure more than one company must make it, but the most famous brand is
> "Tate and Lyle" (same company that makes all sorts of sugars over there).
> Yes, Golden Syrup comes in a green can (shaped like a small paint pot for
> those of you trying to find it), and on the front of the can is a picture of
> a lion lying down with (I think) some bees buzzing around him, and the saying
> "Out of strength comes sweetness" (IIRC) written beneath.

I just checked the can, and that's exactly what is written on it. Good
heavens; I never noticed that before! Gotta love a product with an
honest-to-gosh putrid dead lion on the label! At first glance it does
indeed look like a lion lying there with a bunch of bees buzzing around
it, but it clearly is the lion of Samson's riddle in, I think, the Book
of Judges... the lion is a corpse in which bees have built a hive, and
Samson has taken the honey and commented on the irony of the fact that
an eater is producing food, and strength, sweetness. Wait till the PC
crowd get a new look at _that_ label.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy