SC - French knife

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 14:54:18 PST 2000

- --- Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
> Greetings Balthazar.
> The only markings on the knife say:  _France_ and
> something else that is too
> small and dark to read.  the knife holds to a
> magnet.
> I will try to clean it up tonight and see if I can
> get any other clues.
> btew: What exactly is _high carbon_?  And what does
> acid food do to a high
> carbon blade?

High carbon steel blades are just that...steel blades
with a lot of carbon in them.  The metal is much
softer than, say, stainless steel, which means they
will dull on you much faster... On the up-side, they
take an edge much faster, and can be sharpened to a
keener edge than stainless.

High carbon blades will turn black in the presence of
any liquid with a high pH.  In addition, highly acidic
foods such as tomatoes, lemons or other citrus fruits,
vinegar, and even wine and beer will create pits in
the blade if left in contact with it for any length of
time.

Good luck with your new find.  By the way... the fact
that a magnet will stick to it means that It will also
stick to a MAGNET... You can buy magnetic strips and
screw them onto a convenient place in your kitchen,
and hang your new knife from it!

Balthazar of Blackmoor