SC - The Wicca Cookbook

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Thu Nov 2 20:31:26 PST 2000

Today the postman brought the Wicca Cookbook.  (after the discussion on the
newspaper article I decided to take a look at it.)

A quick look (I am not qualified to comment on the Wicca content - my
roommate is and she is across the room making uncomfortable noises)

Among other things, the intro says  "Meals were heavily spiced to add flavor
to otherwise bland food and in an attempt to cover up the unsavory taste of
decaying food. (page 2, start of last paragraph.)

There is a cherry pottage recipe that is almost word for word from Maggie
Black in "The Medieval Cookbook"  and the frumenty recipe is very close,
down to the kibbled wheat  (is this a British term?  I am not familiar with
it.)  Maggie Black also lists bulger as a possible grain for frumenty.

The bibliography lists (and I am looking at the period sources - not the
Wicca ones)
(I am not typing the whole citation as my hands are not working too well
today.
Fabulous Feasts  (cosman)
The Medieval Cookbook (Maggie black)
Pepys at Table (Driver and Berriedale-Johnson)
Fast and Feast (henisch)
Plyen Delit 2nd addition (Hieatt et al)
Daily living in the 12th Cen (Holms)
All manners of food (Mennell)
Art of Cookery (Scully)

The jury is still out, but this may go back ...

Maeve