SC - re cheddar

Ian Gourdon agincort at raex.com
Sun Nov 5 09:08:33 PST 2000

> > combination of larded
> > with garlic and rubbed with thyme, then soused with
> > cubeb vinegar; some
> > will be plain. I probably won't boil it first...)
> > Cubed Cheese: swiss, cheddar, farmer
>
> I thought that farmer cheese was another name for dry
> cottage cheese curds.  Wouldn't that be hard to cube?
> Or is there more than one kind of farmer cheese.
>
> BTW, cheddar isn't period.  But you already knew that
> didn't you. :-)
> Huette

allow to quote a piece from the list a few whiles ago:
"...I decided that I would put forth a best effort to
come-up with something of
interest, even if it was based upon secondary sources (like
the internet).
Therefore I present, for your entertainment, criticism,
amusement and use the
following chart of cheeses:

Type of Cheese          Date of Earliest
Reference              Reference
Feta
{1184BC}
[1]
Sbrinz                      "...Roman
times..."                                        [6]
Romano                   "...since the time of
Christ..."                      [6]
Cantal                      "...to the time of the
Gauls..."                      [6]
Munster                    8th
Century                                                  [6]
Gorgonzola              879AD/11th
century                                  [1], [6]
Roquefort               1070AD/"was the favorite
cheese               [1], [6]
                                                 of
Charlemagne and King Charles VI"
Wensleydale
{1150AD}
[4]
Grana                     1200AD/13th
Century                                   [1], [6]
Fontina                  13th Century; "favorite of
the                       [6]

Duke of Savoy"
Beaufort
{1267AD}
[2]
Emmental(aka "Swiss")
{1267AD}                                            [2]
Comte
{1267AD}
[2]
Cheddar
1500AD
[1]
Parmesan
1579AD/{1200AD-1300AD}                       [1], [3]
Gouda
1697AD
[1]
Gloucester
1697AD
[1]
Stilton
1785AD
[1]
Camembert
1791AD
[1], [5]

       Cheshire           54BC  "Julius Caesar discovers the
Britons
       making..."
       Gruyere            1722   "introduced into France"

       Referenced in Trager, James, The Food Chronology.
                  (You can also add Trager to the references
for
                    Camembert and Roquefort.)
       Bear
       *
       Don't forget to add Ricotta which is described in
Platina.
       Ras     (LrdRas at aol.com)

{brackets} signifies I consider that the date is dubious.
/  two dates reported

Sources:
[1] http://www.efr.hw.ac.uk/SDA/book1.html
[2] http://www.franceway.com/cheese/history.htm
[3] http://www.parmigiano-reggiano.it/estoria.htm
[4] http://www.wensleydale-creamery.co.uk/history.htm
[5] http://www.camembert-country.com/cwp/cam_hise.htm and
http://www.cheese-gourmet.com/
[6] http://wgx.com/cheesenet/wci/ "

Brian of Trollfen"

which makes Cheddar OK, I'd say. It'd be Swiss that would be
less clear to me as OK.
- --
Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
Known as a forester of the Greenwood, Midrealm
 http://web.raex.com/~agincort