SC - Meat jellies

phlip at morganco.net phlip at morganco.net
Mon Nov 6 07:14:01 PST 2000

Brigid asked:

> 2. Would any of the experienced cooks like to share their favorite
methods of
> *completely* defatting a broth?  My gravy separator did a decent
job, but
> missed a little of the fat.

When I make a broth or a stock, I usually make it the day before and
chill it. Next day, you can just lift out the fat solids, or if you
want them completely gone, strain them through a sieve or mesh
strainer.

One thing you might want to keep in mind, though- you may want a
little fat in your broth- it adds a bit of flavor. I know when I make
my shrimp stock, I use the shrimp heads (as well as the shells)
because the heads have a fair amount of fat in them, and strain hot
(collander, fine metal strainer, then coffee filter) so that I don't
lose the tasty shrimp fat.

Phlip