SC - Pilgrims and The Plimoth Plantation Museum Page

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Nov 6 10:05:10 PST 2000

I ran into something similar when I was teaching in Massachusetts many years
ago.  Turns out that they were teaching the the Plymouth colony was the first
permanent English settlement in the New World...and that the first Thanks giving
was held there in 1621 or so.  Not so.  The first permanent English settlement
in the New World was at Jamestown, Virignia, begun in 1607.  The first
Thanksgiving was held at Berkeley Plantation, also in Virginia, in 1617, I
think...perhaps earlier.

Kiri