SC - Corn-Early Modern

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Nov 8 05:48:22 PST 2000

> Note that I said "the actual question", not "the real question", which isn´t
> quite the same thing. Of course I agree that the _real_ question is if maize
> was eaten in Europe before 1600. But what I was originally responding to was
> your statement "... Europe or the  Mideast which up until W.W.II viewed such
> plants as animal fodder." You later said "I should have said MOST of Europe
> and the Middle East" which is quite correct.

I'm sure that Ras knows a good deal about Middle Eastern, so if he says
the Middle East didn't eat maize, that's fine. The question is, why did
people who were introduced to maize as a 'turkish' grain decide to eat it,
rather than using it as animal fodder?
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker