SC - Corn-Early Modern

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Wed Nov 8 08:49:18 PST 2000

Jadwiga wrote:

>The question is, why did
>people who were introduced to maize as a 'turkish' grain decide to eat it,
>rather than using it as animal fodder?

There may have been several different reasons for that but one explanation I
read somewhere (wish I could remember where) recently was that for a long
time maize wasn´t really a commercial grain in many regions, it was
something poor people grew for themselves to eat so they could sell all
their wheat. In Romania for instance, the Turkish overlords encouraged the
local population to grow maize, which they didn´t much care for themselves.
The Romanians were allowed to keep all the maize they grew but the Turks
took most of the wheat. I´ll look and see if I can find the book where I was
reading about this.

Nanna