SC - Manual de Mujeres 1, 2, 3

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Thu Nov 9 16:19:59 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 9 Nov 00, , that Serian wrote:

> OK, here's my best shot at translating.
>
> 1.  Polvos para los dientes -- Tooth Powder
>
> y cuatro onzas de porcelana, y
[snip]
> & 1/4 oz of porcelain

That would be four ounces, I believe.

> 2.  Pebetes de olor -- (can't find pebetes, but it seems to
> be pebbles or little lumps, of scent)

If you have not already done so, bookmark the following:
http://www.rae.es/NIVEL1/buscon/AUTORIDAD2.HTM

It is an online, searchable version of the 1726 and the 1992 editions
of the dictionary of the Royal Spanish Academy.  A wonderful,
ESSENTIAL reference for translating historic Spanish documents.
It gives three different definitions of "pebete".

> medio cuarto de almizcle, un cuarto de algalia, otro cuarto
> de lináloe. Todas estas cosas molidas y pasadas por cedazo.
[snip]
> 1 oz of musk, 1 quart of civet, another quart
> of aloe vera.

Although "cuarto" can mean quart, it also means a quarter part of
something.  I think that here it means a quarter ounce, and that
"medio cuarto" would be 1/8.

> In Service
> Lady Serian

An excellent start.  The Manual is not the easiest of texts, with all
those specialized perfume and medicine terms.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net