SC - manual ? #4, #5

Serian serian at uswest.net
Sat Nov 11 17:39:34 PST 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Given its form, i suspect that "almaciga" derives from Arabic, which
> i also don't really know. Could it possibly be mastic, which is a
> Mediterranean "tree gum thingy"?

sounds reasonable.

> >and 1/8 of incense (not specific)
>
> "Incense" frequently means frankincense in the Renaissance recipes i've seen.
>
> >#5 Soap for the hands
> >make paste with 2 oz. of Chipre(?) soap.

AH! yes, that makes sense, thank you.

> Other common components are vetivert, sandalwood, labdanum, and
> patchouli, although not all of them are in every Chypre blend and a Chypre blend can contain some other components (i've seen bergamot
> and lavender listed as possible additions).
>
> Chypre's woodsy, mossy smell makes it one of my favorite scent
> families and it is a common scent component in women's fragrances
> characterized as "sporty" and in men's colognes today.

Seems that some sort of blend like sandalwood, vetever,
lavender, bergamont would probably do.  Thanks for that
information!

> Now, i can't guarantee that Chypre as i know it dates back to the
> time of this manual, but it would be something to look into...
>
> So the Chipre soap could be Chypre scented soap. Or maybe it's a soap
> imported from or imputed to be from Cyprus...
>
> Both of your recipes use pre-made soap - white soap in #4 and Chypre
> soap in #5. It isn't unusual to use pre-made soap in soap recipes
> over the last few centuries.

 I'm not sure, but do appreciatethe insight.

> Now, i know that just because people in the 20th century do this
> doesn't mean Spaniards in the - when is this manual from? 16th C.?
> 15th C.? - but at least it is a possibility - and the text of this
> manual suggests they did.

I have to check.  It isn't dated on the web, but I think I
recall someone saying early 1500s.