SC - Trenchers Oh my!

Hank steinfeld at tqci.net
Sun Nov 12 16:05:46 PST 2000

Unto the list and Lady Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,
Actually the trenchers did rise, but not as much as they could with a
sponge.  The recipe has yeast in it, but the character of the flours make
the results heavy.  I can think of a number of things that would improve the
results, starting with a proper sponge to get things going.  Second, I would
recommend a form of sorts to encourage lift.  I have been baking breads, off
and on, since I was 15, (right after they invented the oven in the house)
and had never seen dough behave quite this way.

The extreme in the other direction was the Baba which continued to rise and
bubble on the counter as the oven came up to temp.

Mistress Kiri, I am glad the "poor" were able to enjoy a part of the meal
since they had to watch from outside for a large part of it.

Muirghen