SC - Haggis shop???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 14 05:16:10 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Olwen asked of Kirsten:
> > As for our little group, we shall be stopping at the F.J. Donovan's Haggis
> > shop outside of Philly for a little shopping, probably on our way into town.
>
> There is a Haggis Shop??? Does this place actually sell haggis? I have
> had some haggis made for an SCA wedding a while back. It tasted mostly
> like a dry crumbly sausage with a hint of liver. I've heard of canned
> haggis being available, but all the comments I've on them rated as
> pretty bad. I'd like to hear more about this place as I have
> a brother and his family who live outside Philly in NJ.

The place to check out in NJ is Kearney, which has a large (for lack of
a better term) Scottish ghetto. It contains a strip of Scottish import
stores, butcher shops and restaurants with names like Stewart, Argyle,
and Cameron. They have (ironically enough) the second largest Saint
Patrick's Day Parade on the East Coast, after New York City, and they
have it on some day _other_ than March 17th, so the people can attend
both parades. Which is ironic considering they're Scots, but then since
they're Scots and not Picts, they would have some degree of Irish
ancestry no matter how you slice the haggis.

Adamantius, always confused by bagpipers in kilts playing "Scotland the
Brave" on Saint Patrick's Day
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com