SC - Spanish Lobster recipes?

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Thu Nov 16 20:08:42 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 16 Nov 00, , that E. Rain wrote:

> There is a small chance that I could get cheap/free Lobsters for my spanish
> banquet next spring, and I'm interested if any of you who are working with
> the various Spanish/Catalan/Portuguese texts have come across any recipes
> for lobster other than the one Bridget posted a while back from Granado "To
> Fry the Flesh of Crabs and Lobsters"/"Para freyr las pulpas de los
> Congrejos, y Langostas"

As I said in my previous post, Nola only has a recipe for
blancmange.  Granado has several lobster/crab recipes other than
that one I previously posted.  By way of summary, they are:

1. boiled, and served with oil, vinegar, pepper, and salt

2. boiled, then the meat removed and cooked in a pottage with oil,
herbs, spices, and non-salty broth of some other fish.

3. lobster meat cut in pieces, then fried in oil with chopped onions,
then add water, wine, verjuice, salt, and spices, served with
chopped herbs and sweet spices

4. lobster meat cooked in wine or water, chopped, then fried in oil
or butter, add verjuice and raisins and fish broth, simmer for 1/4
hour, thicken with egg yolks or ground almonds or grated bread.

5. meatballs made of lobster meat with some salted eel, spices,
raisins, sugar, oil or butter, mint, and marjoram.

6. stuffed - boiled, then the meat is removed and chopped, mixed
with the ingredients in #5, or with grated cheese, eggs, and herbs.
Put the mixture back in the shell, then fry or grill until cooked.

If any of those sound promising, let me know.  I don't have any of
them translated, but I could do one or two, especially if you don't
mind correct-but-sloppy.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann