SC - source request Henry VIII Wedding Feasts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Nov 17 06:47:08 PST 2000

"Gaylin J. Walli" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend asked me if I could
> find out some of the good sources, primary or secondary, that
> detailed the lists of any of the food that Henry VIII might have
> had at his wedding feasts. I've got a tickle in my brain that
> someone mentioned it on the list before, but I can't find it in
> the archives. I could have sworn someone mentioned a
> specific menu. The Med/Ren Wedding FAQ stuff isn't much
> help and the Florilegium wasn't any more forthcoming with
> an actual text reference, so I'm posting the request for
> sources here (ISBNs would be even better but I'll take what
> I can get *grin*). Thanks in advance for any help...

"A Noble Booke of Cookerye ffor  A Prynces Household" is late
15th-century English, roughly contemporary with the Battle of Bosworth
Field and Henry VII, and "A Newe Proper Booke of Cokerye" is
mid-sixteenth century English. I would place Henry VIII's wedding(s) as
plumb spang in the midst of them; dishes that appear in both are
probably ideal. Both sources are in Cariadoc's Collection of Medieval
and Renaissance Cookbooks.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy