SC - Feast Report

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 19 09:38:40 PST 2000

Well, i attended my first feast where all the food was modern. I
noticed the servers bringing plates of (boiled) shrimp to every
table. I didn't recall reading any recipes for naked shrimp, but
assumed it was just my lack of exposure to the appropriate period
source, and then i got close to the table and saw that there was a
cup of "standard" cocktail sauce in the center of every plate.

The butter on the table was mixed with apricot jam. The soup was
potato. The main dish in the second course was Shepherd's Pie,
complete with mashed potato and canned gravy topping. And the main
dish of the third course was couscous and ham - what a combo. Sigh.

Oh, well. I had a good time at the event, brought the Travelling
Moorish Reading Room, and got dragged into an ad hoc group performing
one of the Cantigas de Santa Maria which was fun.

Oh, and a member of this list won the Silver Spoon competition, but
i'll wait and see if they reveal themselves before i say more. I will
say that the entry was a wonder to behold and delicious, as the cook
was kind enough to share.

Anahita al-shazhiyya