SC - Recipe: stewed turkey with fruit

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Tue Nov 21 20:55:15 PST 2000

As I've mentioned before, Granado (1599) has a few recipes for
"pollos de las Indias", which AFAIK, is turkey.  Here's one.  It's out
of the section on cooking for invalids, hence the reference to the
doctor.

Para sudar, y estufar perdizes, y faysanes
To sweat, and to stew partridges and pheasants

Take the pheasant, or the partridge, which should not be old or
rancid, and clean their insides, cutting off the head, and the feet,
and pass it through boiling water, or through the coals; take a
copper pot, well tinned, or of glazed earthenware, with a bone from
a calf or cow made into pieces, which has marrow, which is done
to give it flavor; put in enough water to cover it three fingers deep,
with a splinter of whole cinnamon, and a good deal of salt, and a
few pieces of quince, and prunes, and dried cherries; and make it
boil with the cover very well sealed, but before sealing it, you can
put in half a cup of wine of San Martin, or another which is good,
with a little vinegar, and sugar, all according to the order which the
doctor directs, and cook it over the coals, far from the flames.  In
this manner you can also cook the pullet of the Indies, and our
ordinary pullets, and any good bird.

Notes: "wine of San Martin" probably refers to wine from the
vineyards of San Martin de Valdeiglesias, near Madrid.  It was very
highly regarded in this period.  I have seen wine of San Martin
called for in period recipes that suggest a sweet white as an
alternative.  If quinces are no longer available, perhaps a tart apple
like a Granny Smith will do?

Brighid, who is going elsewhere and is therefore not cooking turkey
or anything else, but has promised to bake.  Wednesday night:
apple strudel pie and pumpkin cheesecake.  Thursday morning:
multigrain bread.

A happy holiday to all those who are celebrating!

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net