SC - Re: Pie Shells

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Sat Nov 25 18:43:04 PST 2000

> > 9' pie shell, baked blind 17 pie shells

This is the only part I don't agree with (or what sticks out to me).
I haven't seen any place in Platina where the shells are blind baked but
also I haven't seen any reference that they aren't.  But I guess in the
interest of time it's a good idea but I think it changes the texture of
the pie when served and moves away from how it would have actually
tasted (blind bakes taste different and don't absorb as much of the pie
flavor).

But that's just my ranting.

Cadoc

I'm not sure whether pie shells were baked blind in period or not.  In
this case, I ran through several tests batches trying to work out the
recipe.  Without baking the shells blind, the tarts wound up too
"mushy." You couldn't cut them into pieces; you had to scoop out hunks.
I was using commercial pie crusts; the results may have different for
someone using "homemade" dough for the crust.  Unfortunately, I'm lousy
at any type of baking; if I made a coffyn, you could bury someone in
it!  I'm not going to subject someone who's paid good money to my
efforts, so I stick to using commercial crusts.

John