SC - Poisonous Tomatoes?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Nov 25 19:36:08 PST 2000

- --part1_b9.8eb5012.2751df28_boundary

In a message dated 11/25/00 9:45:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
vongraph at earthlink.net writes:

> I think some of it may also come from the fact that the leaves of the tomato
> plant are poisonous:) Very in fact.
>
> Elric

This is probably accurate but keep in mind that the tomato plant was first
used as an ornamental. Today we have ornamental kale as an example of a plant
that is perfectly edible but rarely eaten because it is grown as an
ornamental. I would suspect that use as an ornamental first has something to
do with it taking so long to be recognized as a 'fruit.' Tomato usage
throughout it's history in the Anglo world is problematical. As late as the
early part of the 20th century CE, physicians were still warning people that
it  caused cancer if eaten. :-)

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_b9.8eb5012.2751df28_boundary