SC - Poisonous Tomatoes?

Trierarch at aol.com Trierarch at aol.com
Sun Nov 26 01:03:00 PST 2000

In a message dated 11/25/00 9:54:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<<
 In any case, I don't think one can argue that something was
 considered poisonous just because you can't find anyone saying that
 it isn't. People in this thread seem to be accepting what is, so far,
 an undocumented assertion as fact and arguing from it. It might be
 true, but I would like some evidence. So far the only period
 references--to 16th c. usage in Italy, and Gerard early in the 17th
 century, provide no support at all for the idea that tomatoes were
 considered poisonous. >>

    I Agree.  The situation regarding Historical reference to the Tomato
being poisonous appears to be difficult.  Most references I have come across
all state "considered poisonous" probably due to its association with know
poisonous plants.  One such reference follows (1).  The Tomato does have some
poisonous properties with the primary poison being identified (in modern
times) as:  So·la·nine (sl-nn, -nn) also so·la·nin (-nn). n. A bitter
poisonous alkaloid, C45H73NO15, derived from potato sprouts, tomatoes, and
nightshade and having narcotic properties formerly used to treat
epilepsy.[French from Latin slnum, nightshade, from sl, sun; see swel- in
Indo-European Roots.]   I am very hopeful that someone will  locate a
definite historical, hard reference to the known poisonous characteristic of
the Tomato.

1. "The tomato originated in the Andean region of South America, mainly
Ecuador and Peru, but its domestication took place in Mexico and Central
America. There may have been more than one centre of origin in the eastern
Andes (Ricke and Holle, 1990). It is suggested that Columbus returned with
tomatoes to Europe where they were first grown for ornamental purposes;
however, through the exploits of Drake, Raleigh and others and the long years
of buccaneering and piracy in the so-called Spanish Main, many Central and
South American plants including the Canna, Nasturtiums, Sunflowers, Tagetes,
Yucca, potato, tobacco and the tomato were cultivated in Europe during the
sixteenth century. The actual means by which they were introduced remain
uncertain. Initially they were grown in Europe as ornamental plants because
the fruit was considered poisonous as the tomato belongs to the plant family
Solonaceae and included in this family is the Deadly Nightshade. In fact the
tomato was named Mala Insana or the unwholesome fruit by Europeans. It was
also called the Love Apple. We should thank the Italians for first embracing
the tomato and introducing it into their culture."

Alberta Botanical Library: Tomato

Thanks

Donegal Arias Massalla

R. N. Parker, PhD