SC - smoking-OOP-OT

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Sun Nov 26 15:40:25 PST 2000

It is illegal to smoke in public places in Australia, and many countries
around the world.

That includes workplaces, restaurants, aeroplanes (even international
flights), and may soon even include pubs (though my opinion is that that's
going too far). Side-stream smoke has been proven to be just as dangerous as
smoking, and employers have been sued for medical problems due to long term
exposure in the workplace.

It may just be a stinky odour to you, Bal, but to people like my Mum and
husband, it's a major allergen. To me, it's able to bring on a bad case of
asthma.

Personally I've never had anything against others smoking (I myself indulge
in port and cigars a couple of times a year - must be the added extras in
the cigs that muck up my asthma), as long as it's done in places where it
doesn't affect the people with problems. The same reason, I suppose, that I
don't drive 100km/h on footpaths, and my MIL doesn't rub her cat in my face
:-)

Glenda.