SC - Re: snowing during a feast: extra silly

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 27 07:21:50 PST 2000

Ooh, the memories...

Two years ago, at 11th Night Investiture, it started snowing during the
feast. It didn't seem too awful and we didn't leave early (who wanted
to? Vesta had produced an amazing Roman feast and we weren't done
eating!) but when we left we discovered I-5 was pretty fun, and just
north of Grants Pass (about 30 miles away) the State Police  had the
road blocked and were sending people back to GP- I-5 was closed through
the passes. We went back down, and found what was basically the last
available hotel room. Mistress Alys came out of the office with a funny
look on her face, started hemming and hawing "Well, we got a room for
four, with two double beds, but I don't know how we're going to work
this..." and I broke up laughing. None of us had overnight gear (except
Bryan, who always carries a change of clothes in his backpack), and I
was wearing Father Abelard's Dominican robes. Finally I stopped laughing

and told her "It's not a problem! You and Bryan are a couple, I'm
single" (this was before James) "and Steve's gay. I don't mind if he
doesn't." They failed to tell me how LOUDLY he snores, but otherwise we
were fine. And when the story got around in the dept at school (thanks
to a couple of loudmouth SCAdian who thought it was funny) I was
regarded with new interest... ;-D

Oddly, the Denny's was full of people in interesting combinations of
garb and regular clothes when breakfast rolled around. The waitress
couldn't seem to figure me out, sitting there on a Sunday morning in
monk's robes (tired, no makeup- I can pass for an ugly guy...), and she
called me Father...

'Lainie