SC - Deep-fried Turkey? OOP

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 27 08:08:14 PST 2000

>  I figured this was a joke - deep-frying a whole turkey?

No joke at all. It really is the latest fad. Originally deep-fried
turkeys were a Cajun thing.

Basically what is done is that the turkey is either soaked in a brine
for awhile to infuse flavor and juicyness or it is injected with
butter and seasonings. Then dried completely and placed on a rack
thing and slowly lowered into a large pot, usually reserved for
crawfish boils, full of hot oil on a large outdoor burner.

The turkey fries in the oil and it seals in the juice and makes for
a very crispy skin. It's very tasty when done right. Unfortunately it is
dangerous and too many amateurs are out there taking part in this fad
and causing lots of injuries.

> Thanks!
> Magdalena vander Brugghe

On another note. Is anyone interested in starting our yearly "What I
had for Thanksgiving dinner" thread?

I had a pretty typical Thanksgiving. It was a Household dinner so there
were a variety of dishes but nothing extraordinary. I did make some
pecan tassies (bite-sized pecan tarts) which were fun. As well as
gingerbread cups filled with homemade Irish Mist whipped cream.
I also made cornbread/pecan dressing and mixed veggies in a lemon/butter
sauce.  I whipped up both a giblet and a plain turkey gravy to go with
the meal which included garlic/cheese mashed potatoes, regular mashed
potatoes, bread dressing, homemade cranberry relish, turkey, and assorted
other typical Thanksgiving foods. The desserts included the aforementioned
tassies and gingerbread cups as well as apple pie, pumpkin pie, lemon
merengue pie, homemade vanilla ice cream, a chess pie and a strange
spread of horseradish, cream cheese and apricot jam.

I cooked a seperate turkey by injecting roasted garlic & butter into the
meaty portions and trying the Alton Brown method of roasting it at 400
degrees for 30 minutes and then covering it with a layer of aluminum foil
and roasting at 350 until a meat thermometer registers at 185 in the breast.
It came out perfect.

I also took my delightful lady to an all-you-can-eat sushi bar on Sunday.

I need to go to the gym tonight. Urp!

Yers,

Gunthar