SC - OOP Re: what we had for T-day

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Mon Nov 27 12:43:03 PST 2000

We went to my aunt and uncle's house.  My uncle is the primary
cook in that household, but he was under a mandate not to mess
with the traditional dishes.  So he and his son (who graduates this
week from the CIA) went hogwild with the sidedishes.

What we had:

salad (served already plated) -- mixed greens with pecans, blue
cheese, and a dressing which included orange juice, walnut oil,
and beet juice for color.

corn chowder with veggies and sausage
I made the multigrain bread that was served with it

roast turkey with stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans,
sweet potatoes with marshmallows.  (My aunt opened the cans of
sweet potatoes.  She doesn't cook, but she did set a gorgeous
table, with flowers and candles, and the good china.)

Polenta with goat cheese, red peppers, roasted garlic, and sage

A rice dish with pigeon peas and chorizo sausage, courtesy of a
friend of my aunt who always brings this dish.  (It wouldn't be
Thanksgiving without Stella's rice.)

Roasted root veggies -- beets, turnips, carrots, potatoes, with
onions caramelized in duck fat

2 different homemade cranberry sauces

Dessert: my niche in the family food chain is baking.  I brought an
apple strudel pie, clementine-cranberry pound cake, and pumpkin-
gingersnap cheesecake.  All came out pretty well, except that the
cheesecake was a *touch* underdone.  Nothing disastrous, just a
bit softer in the middle than was optimum.

It was a glorious meal, and we were at the table for something like
three hours.  There were long breaks between courses, and it
rather reminded me of an SCA feast.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann